January 19, 2022 - Retirement



January 19, 2022

Yesterday I posed a question to my Facebook followers:

Where do you see yourself at retirement age?


Let's start with me, shall we?

In reality, tbh, I see myself in a small apartment or some type of assisted living community. As much as my daughter doesn't want to ever see me in a community, I have a feeling I am going to have a lot of needs that she wont be able to care for and take care of for me. I am trying so hard to take care of myself now so that I am not a burden to anyone later in life.

In an ideal setting, I would love travel in a motor home and see the world. I would love to live on the beach some where, and no, not Florida (Heaven's waiting room). I wanna stay in NJ believe it or not. I want to enjoy any future grandchildren that I may be blessed to have and spoil them like crazy. I enjoy it here in NJ, as of right now. However, should my daughter decide to move somewhere later in life, I may go follow her. But right now I really don't have my retirement thoughts set in stone.

This is all considering that the husband is still with me. I don't like to think of my future without him. But I know someday I am going to have to or him even without me, That's a scary thought to so many of us, being without our spouse or significant other.

Does anyone really have their retirement planned out? Where you want to go, what you want to do? Money saved? New home planned? How about your last will & testament or living will? Are you an organ donor? Do your children or family know your final resting plans?

So many of my friends mentioned that they will probably still be working at retirement age and I am quite sure I will be one of them. HA!

Some of my friends responses:

MB says ideally Id like to be enjoying life as a memaw, I'll prolly be right here in West by God Virginia still lol. I live on family land

TCW says I see myself long retired by retirement age, LOL! We’ll see if that actually happens, I’m shooting for 62. 10 years to go! Then she plans to chill at home, travel, might have weddings to help plan and babies eventually. Spend time with my family.

NT says: Realistically or ideally? Realistically, either working still, or relaxing in a small humble home. Ideally? Relaxing on my southern Colorado ranch.

MS says: I don't think I will ever retire. Lol

KDM says: I’m retired!

VWC says: Living my best life I guess, hopefully living in Florida at The Villages. Who knows what I'll be doing. If anything.

JMcK says: Probably still working, and definitely here in Myrtle beach, doing work as administrative in the hospital, please say a prayer I just applied, I worked for Yale new haven hospital for 13 years.

YEG says: With a golden retriever, more cats & a small Pekinese dog too...no kids at home, maybe a part time job....a lot of sports....lots of knitting/embroidery....just finally relaxing without planning too much.. hopefully with enough cash to live comfortably.. travel a bit with my husband....live at a slower happier pace. Not to sound too gloomy but that is IF both my husband and I are alive at retirement.... growing old seems like such a luxury nowadays unfortunately.

DE says: Working towards my "Retirement Goal"

BL says: I'm moving to Florida and wilding out.

SA says: I AM at my retirement age!! doing what I've been doing for past 55 years. Cooking and reading.

CP says: Living in a cabin in the smokies, living my best life with grandkids hopefully.

MG says: Home! in my home where I love being

DJ says: I am nearly certain I will die in front of a pizza oven without burning the pizza.

MC says: With a medical degree, giving back and traveling.

EPG says: I'm there and loving it!

NSC says: Same place I’m at. Sitting my butt on the couch

AR says: On a beach

ADeR says: Probably still working. Sadly

LN says: Working until I die…

TP says: The mirror. Did I win? * he's the comedian of the group

RMc says: Dead


......and there you have it my friends..... some serious, some comical and some unsure.

Data collected by me on a silly Facebook question.




With love


Maria

Comments

Amber said…
Some of those answers were too much 🤣 For me.. I think realistically, my husband's medical debt will not allow me to retire. I haven't even given it a second thought really. 🤔